Probate Summary of the James McClurken Estate
By: Roger Kemps © 2009
When James McClurken died on October 8, 1875, he had the following assets:
· $378.35 in Goods, Chattels and Personal Property
· $1935.95 in loans to five individuals
· $2060.00 for five real estate parcels totaling 187 acres
After expenses, Sarah McClurken, his widow, received:
· $378.35 for the value of the personal property
· $377.40 for the “widow’s award” in two installments
· $395.41 as a one-third portion of the balance
Each of his eight surviving children received a one-eighth portion of the remaining two-thirds of the balance:
· $98.85 to Elizabeth (McClurken) McKelvey
· $98.85 to Nancy (McClurken) Owens
· $98.85 to John R. McClurken
· $98.85 to David W. McClurken
· $98.85 to Sarah (McClurken) Walker
· $98.85 to James H. McClurken, Jr.
· $98.85 to Andrew T. McClurken
· $98.85 to Clara (McClurken) Kemps
In addition, it appears that two parcels, valued at $250, became part of the estate in settlement of the James and Mary Maning debt.
The disposition of all of the real estate was not addressed in the probate records.
For copies of the probate records obtained from the Washington County Clerk, box 78, see:
Last updated 9/15/2009