Rachel Stuart Winters Shepard
1838 – 1879
By Roger Kemps © 2010
Rachel Stuart (also spelled Rachael Stewart) was born in 1838 in Buffalo, New York.
Rachel Stuart married John Henry Winters (born in England) sometime before 1859. They had two children:
· John Henry Winters, named after his father, was born on September 4, 1859 in Michigan. When he was quite young, he married Matilda (Tillie) who was 16. After his mother died, John and Tillie tried to keep the family together. However, Tillie and Josie were about the same age and did not get along well. They did raise his brother, Edward. John and Tillie had seven children. Joseph lived with John and Tillie when he was in his late 90’s. John died in Muskegon, Michigan on May 31, 1945 and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
· Annie Putnam was born in 1862.
John Winters (the father) died about 1863.
· Josephine Lord was born in 1867. Josie raised her sister, Mayme’s child, Frederick. She went to New York for a while and was a child nurse. When her father was in his 90s, she took him to Detroit, Michigan to live with her until he died. Josephine died on May 2, 1928.
· Isabella was born on April 1, 1868 and died on August 19, 1868.
· Frances A. was also born on April 1, 1868 and she died before the 1870 census.
· Alice was born on December 21, 1869.
· Lillian Cruse was born in 1870. She had two children; Marguerite and Eugene. Lillian died in 1928.
· Edward was born on February 22, 1872 and died in Duluth, Minnesota on January 12, 1957. He and his wife, Catherine, had four children.
· Marey was born in 1874.
· Rachel Beatrice Eggebrecht was born on February 20, 1877 and died in Chicago, Illinois on April 23, 1963.
· Mayme Cooper was born in 1878. She had a boy, Frederick, and died when her long hair caught fire while standing in front of a heater.
· Infant born in 1879.
Rachel Stuart Winters Shepard died in 1879, during childbirth, and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Muskegon, Michigan. The children were subsequently raised by different families. Beatrice and Edward were reunited after 57 years in July 1936, see Duluth newspaper article.
The information comes from various sources and there is frequent disagreement about various "facts," including the spelling of last names. See notes.
1860_John_Winters.pdf see line 22
1870 Joseph Shepard.pdf see line 24
1880 Joseph Sheppard.pdf see lines 42 & 43
1880 Edward Shepard.pdf see lines 46 & 47
1880 Lilly Shephard.pdf see line 49
1900 Edward Shepard.pdf see line 8
1910 Edward Shepard.pdf see line 17
1920 Edward Shepard.pdf see line 54
1930 Edward G Shepard.jpg see line 8
1940 Edward G Shepard.jpg see line 58
1900 Josephine Lord.pdf see line 47
1910 Josephine Lord.pdf see line 7
1900 John Winters.pdf see line 39
1910 John Winters.pdf see line 67
1920 John Winters.pdf see line 13
1930 John H Winters.jpg see line 80
1940 John H Winters.jpg see line 61
Isabella Shepherd Death Register.jpg see number 212
Frances Shepard Birth Register.jpg see number 204
Last updated 6/22/2017
The information comes from various sources and there is frequent disagreement about various "facts," including the spelling of last names. Variations and their sources are as follows:
Rachael - 1860 Census
Rachael - 1870 Census
Rachel - Edward Sheppard Birth Certificate
Racheal - Edward Shepard Death Certificate
Rachel - John Winters Death Certificate
Rachel - Beatrice Eggebrecht Death Certificate
Stuart - Edward Shepard Death Certificate
Stuart - John Winters Death Certificate
Stewart - Beatrice Eggebrecht Death Certificate
Place of birth:
New York - 1860 Census
Canada - 1870 Census
Canada - Edward Sheppard's Birth Certificate
England - John Winters Death Certificate
Date of birth:
1842 - 1860 Census
1840 - 1870 Census
1838 - Family documentation