Thomas Wright Wright
1818 - 1890
By: Roger Kemps © 2011
Thomas Wright Wright was born in Ohio in 1818. He died in 1890 and was buried on November 5, 1890 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Thomas' father was born in Maryland and his mother in Pennsylvania.
About 1845, Thomas married Laura Ann Worth (8/24/1821 – 2/1912) who was born in North Carolina. Thomas and Laura had nine children:
· Joel Lindley (J.L.) was born in April 1847 and was buried on November 29, 1915 in Crown Hill Cemetery.
· Mary W. Howland was born in February 1849 and was buried on May 22, 1923 in Crown Hill Cemetery.
· Worth Wright was born in January 1851 and was buried on March 24, 1904 in Crown Hill Cemetery.
· Charles Sumner was born in November 1852 and was buried on June 21, 1904 in Crown Hill Cemetery.
· Wilbur Toby was born in October 1856 and was buried on November 12, 1932 in Crown Hill Cemetery.
· Thomas Kleber was born in 1859 and was buried on December 6, 1880 in Crown Hill Cemetery.
· Blucher was born in 1859 in Illinois and was the twin sister of Kleber. She died in Jacksonville, Illinois prior to 1870.
· Laura Elizabeth (Lizzie) was born in 1863 and was buried on May 6, 1893 in Crown Hill Cemetery.
· An unknown child died before age 10.
About 1858, the family moved from Indiana to Jacksonville, Illinois.
The 1860 Census shows Thomas and Laura living in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Illinois along with seven of their children. Thomas was a lumber dealer.
The 1870 Census also shows Thomas and Laura living in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Illinois along with seven of their children. The two youngest children had been born in Illinois, the others in Indiana. Thomas was a lumber merchant.
The 1880 Census shows Thomas and Laura living in Indianapolis, Indiana along with six of their children. Thomas was farming and the children had various occupations.
Thomas died in 1890 and was buried on November 5, 1890 in Crown Hill Cemetery (Section 36 Lot 156) in Indianapolis, Indiana. For an image of his headstone, see this link.
1860_Thomas_Wright.pdf see lines 28 – 36
1870_Thomas_Wright.pdf see lines 12 – 20
1880_Worth_Wright.pdf see lines 31 – 38
Crown Hill Cemetery Website All of the above (except Worth, Blucher and unknown) are buried in Section 36, Lot 157.
Obsolete link, http://footprints.org/9-100148.htm, showed likely parents of Thomas as Joel Wright and Elizabeth Taylor.
The following photographs were provided by Wayne McCall
Thomas_Wright_Wright.jpg The photo above.
1streunion.jpg This photo was taken on the 50th Anniversary of the Powell Howland family arrival in Indianapolis and includes Thomas’ granddaughter, Edna, Worth, and other descendants of Powell Howland, Edna’s great grandfather.
1streunion_ID.jpg above photo with identifications, courtesy of Shirley Kelly.
lgfamgp.jpg large family group includes Edna and Worth.
lgfamgp2.jpg large family group includes Edna and Worth.
bathers.jpg Charles Berry Howland (Thomas’ son-in-law), Mary Wright Howland (Thomas’ daughter) and an unknown at the beach in 1922.
2GonSWNG.jpg two unidentified women on a swing.
The following photograph was provided by Jacqueline Cooper
Mary Wright Howland is a photo of Thomas' daughter
Last updated 5/31/2017