Elizabeth Olivia Kemps McClurken
1847 - 1920
By: Roger Kemps © 2008
Elizabeth (Liza or Lizzie) Olivia Kemps was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on January 6, 1847. She died on June 24, 1920 in Oakdale, Illinois.
Her parents were James William (1807 - June 11, 1887) and Isabella Gay Kemps (November 11, 1811 - May 5, 1867) who came from Ireland in 1836.
· Mary was born in Philadelphia in 1836, the year her parents arrived.
· Samuel Henry Kemps was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on March 23, 1843 while the family was living on Palm Street. He married Clara Amanda McClurken, the sister of James H McClurken. Samuel died on April 2, 1921, and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (Old Section, Row 12, Grave 49).
· James W. was born on August 30, 1845. He died on September 12, 1867 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (Old Section, Row 14, Grave 44).
Elizabeth shows up in the 1850 Census, along with his parents, three siblings, and Aunt Sarah Kemps, age 27.
The family lived at various places in Philadelphia. In 1861, the family resided at 724 Shirley. Shortly thereafter, the family moved to Oakdale, Illinois and began farming.
Elizabeth shows up in the 1865 Illinois Census along with her parents and three siblings.
· Elwood J. (James E. E.) was born on December 21, 1868 and died on December 31, 1843.
· Laura Isabelle White was born on January 18, 1872 and died on October 27, 1943.
· Nellie R. Wilson was born on May 15, 1874 and died on March 6, 1959.
· Ada E. Rountree was born on September 6, 1876 and died on October 17, 1958.
· Bertha M. was born on April 15, 1879 and died on January 25, 1953.
· Myrtle Florence was born on February 16, 1883 and died on July 23, 1957.
The 1870 Census shows James (farming), Liza (Elizabeth), and Elwood living in Township 3 South, Range 4 West, in Washington County, Illinois with the nearest Post Office being Elkhorn.
The 1880 Census shows James (farmer), Elizabeth, J.E.E. (Elwood), L.I., N.R. (Nellie), A.E. (Ada), B.M. (Bertha) and a boarder in Elkton Precinct.
The 1900 Census shows James (farmer), Elizabeth, James E.E. (Elwood - farmer), Nellie R., Ada E., Bertha M. and Florence M. (Myrtle) in Oakdale Township.
The 1910 Census shows James H. (farmer on a general farm), Elizabeth O., Bertha M. and Myrtle F. in Oakdale Township.
The 1920 Census shows James H. (farmer on a general farm), Lizzie O. (Elizabeth), Bertha and Myrtle F. in Oakdale Township on Oakdale Road Southwest.
Elisabeth died on June 24, 1920 and is buried in the Oakdale Cemetery (New Section, Row 20, Grave 29). To see an image of the headstone, see this link.
Reference sources and files:
1850_James_Kemps.jpg see line 39
1865_IL_James_Kemps.jpg see line 4
1870_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 8
1880_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 11
1900_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 42
1910_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 58
1920_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 23
Narratives of Randolph County.pdf pages 76 & 77
Last updated 8/20/2010