James Hood McClurken
1843 - 1933
By: Roger Kemps © 2008
James H McClurken was born on March 29, 1843 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on November 13, 1933 in Oakdale, Illinois.
His siblings were:
· Mary Jane Hood Sloane was born in 1823 in Chester County, South Carolina. She died on March 10, 1857 in Oakdale, Illinois.
· Margaret Hood Mitchell was born in 1825 in South Carolina. She died on September 16, 1900 in California.
· Elizabeth Smith McKelvey was born on October 14, 1830 in South Carolina. She died on August 21, 1923 in Randolph County, Illinois.
· Nancy J. Owens was born on April 10, 1833 in Washington County, Illinois and died on May 26, 1899.
· John Rodman was born in 1836 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on May 2, 1914 in Yakima, Washington.
· David W. was born in 1839 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on August 4, 1916 and is buried in Fairhaven Memorial Park in Santa Ana, California.
· Sarah Ellen Walker was born in 1840 in Washington County, Illinois. She died on October 31, 1924.
· Andrew Todd was born on May 1, 1846 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on March 4, 1922 in Nobby, Missouri.
· Clara Amanda McClurken was born in Oakdale, Illinois on June 7, 1849. She married Samuel Henry Kemps, the brother of Elizabeth Olivia Kemps. Clara died on May 27, 1936 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (Old Section, Row 12, Grave 50).
James shows up in the 1850 Census, along with his parents and nine siblings.
James shows up in the 1860 Census, along with his parents and four siblings.
James shows up in the 1865 Illinois Census along with his parents, three siblings and a female teenage cousin?
· Elwood J. (James E. E.) was born on December 21, 1868 and died on December 31, 1943.
· Laura Isabelle White was born on January 18, 1872 and died on October 27, 1943.
· Nellie R. Wilson was born on May 15, 1874 and died on March 6, 1959.
· Ada E. Rountree was born on September 6, 1876 and died on October 17, 1958.
· Bertha M. was born on April 15, 1879 and died on January 25, 1953.
· Myrtle Florence was born on February 16, 1883 and died on July 23, 1957.
The 1870 Census shows James (farming), Liza (Elizabeth), and Elwood living in Township 3 South, Range 4 West, in Washington County, Illinois with the nearest Post Office being Elkhorn.
The 1880 Census shows James (farmer), Elizabeth, J.E.E. (Elwood), L.I., N.R. (Nellie), A.E. (Ada), B.M. (Bertha) and a boarder in Elkton Precinct.
The 1900 Census shows James (farmer), Elizabeth, James E.E. (Elwood - farmer), Nellie R., Ada E., Bertha M. and Florence M. (Myrtle) in Oakdale Township.
The 1910 Census shows James H. (farmer on a general farm), Elizabeth O., Bertha M. and Myrtle F. in Oakdale Township.
The 1920 Census shows James H. (farmer on a general farm), Lizzie O. (Elizabeth), Bertha and Myrtle F. in Oakdale Township on Oakdale Road Southwest.
Elisabeth died on June 24, 1920 and is buried in the Oakdale Cemetery (New Section, Row 20, Grave 29).
The 1930 Census shows James H. (farmer on a general farm), Bertha M., and Myrtle F. living in Oakdale Township.
James Hood McClurken died on November 13, 1933 in Oakdale, Illinois at the age of 90 years, 7 months and 15 days. He is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (New Section, Row 20, Grave 30). To see an image of the headstone, see this link. His obituary provides additional details about his life.
Reference sources and files:
1850_James_Sarah_McClurken_pg2.jpg see line 9
1860_James_Sarah_McClurken.jpg see line 8
1865_IL_James_McClurken.jpg see line 3
1870_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 7
1880_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 10
1900_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 41
1910_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 57
1920_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 22
1930_James_H_McClurken.jpg see line 6
Narratives of Randolph County.pdf pages 76 & 77
Charlene Deutsch Research
Last updated 9/4/2010