David W McClurken
1839 - 1916
By: Roger Kemps © 2010
David W McClurken was born in Oakdale, Illinois in 1839. He died on August 3, 1916
His siblings were:
· Mary Jane Hood Sloane was born in 1823 in Chester County, South Carolina. She died on March 10, 1857 in Oakdale, Illinois.
· Margaret Hood Mitchell was born in 1825 in South Carolina. She died on September 16, 1900 in California.
· Elizabeth Smith McKelvey was born on October 14, 1830 in South Carolina. She died on August 21, 1923 in Randolph County, Illinois.
· Nancy J. Owens was born on April 10, 1833 in Washington County, Illinois and died on May 26, 1899.
· John Rodman was born in 1836 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on May 2, 1914 in Yakima, Washington.
· Sarah Ellen Walker was born about 1840 in Washington County, Illinois. She died October 31, 1924.
· James Hood McClurken, Jr., was born on March 29, 1843 in Oakdale, Illinois. He died on November 13, 1933 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (New Section, Row 20, Grave 30).
· Andrew Todd was born on May 1, 1846 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on March 4, 1922 in Nobby, Missouri.
· Clara Amanda McClurken Kemps was born in Oakdale, Illinois on June 7, 1849. She died on May 27, 1936 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (Old Section, Row 12, Grave 50).
David shows up in the 1840 Census, along with his parents and seven siblings.
David shows up in the 1850 Census, along with his parents and nine siblings.
David shows up in the 1860 Census, along with his parents and four siblings.
In 1861, he enlisted, as a sergeant in Co. F of the 10th Regiment of the Missouri Infantry Volunteers. He held various ranks in Companies H, K and C and was promoted to Captain on October 12, 1863. He was wounded in action on November 25, 1863 and was mustered out on August 24, 1864. See his Service Card for additional details.
David received two inheritances:
· His brother, Thomas, died on November 27, 1861 while serving during the Civil War. David received $88, as his share, on November 9, 1964. See Thomas McClurken 1861 Probate Documents for additional details.
· His father, James McClurken, died in October of 1875. On March 15, 1878, David received $98.85 as his share. See James McClurken Estate for additional details.
· Page 8; After the war, started a store near Ayers Point with army pals. They nicknamed their place Stag Town.
· Page 14; Civil War Service RP Church member Capt. Co. F., 10th MO
· Page 34; Civil War Service RP Church member
· Page 51; After the war, started a store near Ayers Point with army pals
David also appears in the Covenanter Soldiers’ Record of Oakdale, Ill.
David is listed on pages 93 & 521 of “Official Army Register of the Volunteer Force of the United States Army for the Years 1861, ’62, ’63, ’64, ’65 Part 7.”
The 1870 US Census shows David living in Parker, Montgomery County, Kansas and working as a carpenter.
The 1910 Census shows David living at 964 Howard Street in San Francisco, California. He was working as a watchman.
David W McClurken died on August 3, 1916, at 77 years of age. He is buried in Fairhaven Memorial Park in Santa Ana, California (Plot I-407-2). To see an image of the headstone, see this link.
Reference sources and files:
1840_James_McClurken.jpg see line 6
1850_James_Sarah_McClurken_pg2.jpg see line 7
1860_James_Sarah_McClurken.jpg see line 7
1870_D_W_McClurken.pdf see line 18
1910_David_McClurken.pdf see line 55
Official Army Register of the Volunteer Force of the United States Army … Part 7, pages 93 & 521
Last updated 8/6/2011