Andrew Todd McClurken
1846 - 1922
By: Roger Kemps © 2008
Andrew Todd McClurken was born on May 1, 1846 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on March 4, 1922 in Nobby, Missouri.
His siblings were:
· Mary Jane Hood Sloane was born in 1823 in Chester County, South Carolina. She died on March 10, 1857 in Oakdale, Illinois.
· Margaret Hood Mitchell was born in 1825 in South Carolina. She died on September 16, 1900 in California.
· Elizabeth Smith McKelvey was born on October 14, 1830 in South Carolina. She died on August 21, 1923 in Randolph County, Illinois.
· Nancy J. Owens was born on April 10, 1833 in Washington County, Illinois and died on May 26, 1899.
· John Rodman was born in 1836 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on May 2, 1914 in Yakima, Washington.
· David W. was born in 1839 in Washington County, Illinois. He died on August 4, 1916 and is buried in Fairhaven Memorial Park in Santa Ana, California.
· Sarah Ellen Walker was born about 1840 in Washington County, Illinois. She died on October 31, 1924.
· James Hood McClurken, Jr., was born on March 29, 1843 in Oakdale, Illinois. He died on November 13, 1933 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (New Section, Row 20, Grave 30).
· Clara Amanda McClurken Kemps was born in Oakdale, Illinois on June 7, 1849. She died on May 27, 1936 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery (Old Section, Row 12, Grave 50).
Andrew shows up in the 1850 Census, along with his parents and nine siblings.
Andrew shows up in the 1860 Census, along with his parents and four siblings.
On May 4, 1864, three days after he turned 18, Andrew enlisted as a private in Co. K. of the 142nd Illinois US Infantry Regiment to fight in the Civil War. He was 5’ 7” tall, with dark hair, dark complexion and hazel eyes. He was listed as single and a farmer from Sparta, Randolph County, Illinois. For additional information, see details and veterans. His pension card and pension payment card provide further information.
Andrew shows up in the 1865 Illinois Census along with his parents, three siblings and a female teenage cousin?
Andrew Todd McClurken married Annie L. (Anna) Ferman (or Farnam) of New York about 1866. They had four children:
· Thaddeus Rodman was born March 22, 1869 in Oakdale, Illinois.
· Thomas Todd was born on July 26, 1871 in Oakdale, Illinois.
· James McCloud was born on July 13, 1874 in Oakdale, Illinois and died on December 22, 1905.
· Sarah May (Sadie) Rice was born on August 22, 1875 in Oakdale, Illinois.
The 1870 Census shows Andrew, Anna, and a one year old Sarah?
Annie died tragically on March 14, 1877. See her obituary for details.
The 1880 Census shows Andrew, the four children, and his widowed mother, Sarah, living on his farm in the Elkton Precinct of Washington County, Illinois.
Andrew was a member of the (Covenanter) Oakdale Reformed Presbyterian Church.
· Page 14 lists Andrew as part of the Covenanter Soldiers’ Roll of Honor
· Page 34 lists Andrew as a member of the Oakdale Reformed Presbyterian Church who had Given Service to their Country in the Civil War
· Page 94 lists Andrew as a taxpayer in the school district in 1874
Andrew also appears in the Covenanter Soldiers’ Record of Oakdale, Ill.
In 1884, Thomas married Sarah Belle Charmicael. They had seven more children:
· Infant boy was born and died on October 5, 1887.
· Clady B. was born on April 7, 1889 in Missouri.
· Della Myrtle Black Perkins Mason was born on March 8, 1891 in Missouri.
· Nellie Wood Spence was born on May 11, 1893 in Missouri.
· Ethyl Belle Black was born on January 25, 1896 in Missouri.
· Nannie Gladys Garrison was born in March 10, 1898 in Missouri.
· John Paul (Johnnie) was born on August 5, 1900 in Missouri.
The 1890 Civil War Union Veterans Census shows Andrew living in the Adair Township of Camden County, Missouri.
The 1900 Census shows Andrew and Sarah (Belle) living in the Adair Township of Camden County, Missouri. His occupation was Miller. Living with them were Thomas, James, Sadie, Clady, Della, Nellie, Ethyl and Nannie.
The 1910 Census shows Andrew and Sarah (Belle) farming in the Miller Township of Dallas County, Missouri. Living with them were Thomas, Nellie, Ethyl, Nannie and John.
Andrew Todd McClurken died on March 4, 1922 at the age of 75 years, 10 months and 3 days. His obituary provides additional details about his life. The obituary contains some errors. After his death, his widow, Belle, received a widow’s pension: see pension card and pension payment card provide further information.
Reference sources and files:
1850_James_Sarah_McClurken_pg2.jpg see line 10
1865_IL_James_McClurken.jpg see line 3
1870_Andrew_McClurken.jpg see line 2
1880_Andrew_with_Sarah_McClurken.jpg see line 21
1890 Civil War Union Veterans Census see line 21
1900_Andrew_McClurken.jpg see line 14
1910_Andrew_McClurken.jpg see line 34
Narratives of Randolph County.pdf pages 77 – 79
Charlene Deutsch Research
Last updated 11/13/2017